Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mayhem Music Festival: frantic race against time violin teacher

E 'after midnight. Inhuman zombie for an hour, shift workers and other monsters reserved. The unnatural light of my CRT monitor is etching was in my retina, as I try desperately to hectic schedule for tomorrow is more delicious. No matter how I shuffle small blocks of time in my time management software, the truth stares at me in bright yellow cartilage.

Tomorrow will be absolutely crazy.

My young violin students and I, their teacher to be immersed in two weeksMusic Festival. We have prepared the music for the event since last fall and played recorded in January. At that moment everything seemed so simple: select to perform some challenging pieces for children for a professional, big city courts, then the children deserve well-earned good grades and have a jolly good time making music together.

There was snow on the ground and the Christmas lights, but when we discussed plans festival, knowing, Maywas an eternity away. "We have enough time to learn the pieces in a state of lawlessness," I said smugly.

I remember very clearly fill in the forms a few months ago and laughter in my earlier reluctance, many students also experience music festival before. I vaguely remember a feeling of slight discomfort to the stress in the provision, then I went happily to sign a page full of voices. Many students over the lastYears.

"This year will be easier because we'll be better prepared," I said I was proud. All students were instructed to begin work on their own songs, and I asked her first test with his piano accompanist for the 2nd week is in February.

No luck. Students and their parents were understandably postponed due to expected and optimism to do it "later, if there is more time," and suddenly it was spring break. The children come back from vacationand sample-less tan. "Exactly," he assured me through clenched teeth. "We still have a couple of months. I just have to be more confident."

This degenerated into a desperate annoying sessions each week in class, "You can test with the crew?" Re-enter life began, but now our friend was always full of other samples of the last minutes posted. The phone tag began when she and the students caught in an endless loop of voice mailMessages. Miraculously, some samples have been planned and visited and saw at the festival.

Then came something unthinkable happened. The clouds parted, the sun came out and at the same time adopted CALCIUM. Like a thief in the night tempting sports grabbed my students five afternoons a week and on Saturday at noon. They began to appear for classes 5 and 10 minutes late, dressed in sweat, grass stained uniforms and exhausted. Soccer practices and games startedReplace the violin practice and try.

Fortunately the weather has had a euphoric effect me, the teacher, and I found a way to use the lessons to be with the date of the upcoming festival, working in my garden after. It must have numbed the pain of learning yet Another test with the crew to cancel another game or a hand injury, the student was not able to play music on that day to leave.

That only lasted so long. The music festival is now scanning el 'Geiger suddenly in chaos, how the ants scrambling to avoid an impending flood. Samples will be posted to intervals bizarre, meals are skipped, and sore fingers to use than ever before.

They are incredibly busy, and delirious from the activity, but it's worth it because the music is learned and absorbed in time for the holidays! Mwah Ha Ha!

In the coming days of the festival I'm going to play coach, the players as a warm-up before theirjudicial decisions. "Speak slowly and clearly your introduction. Eye contact with the guide before you start. Evenly space your chrome and remember to use vibrato on the high notes. Focus and hold power until the end. Do not forget to fold at the end and confirm your buddy. "

I'll sit in the audience and her smile, my head nodded to the rhythm of their music. I'm on my back if they do well and I embrace them when they look at how they might cry pat. Ithem and their proud parents to leave their car behind and comment on how pleased I am with all their hard work have brought us to this day. I'll be so good about the whole thing, although it was more stressful times.

I breathe a sigh of relief that is ready and a small suggestion to me: do not try, will be involved next year ...

Then the snow in January, I will get back, comfortable and satisfied, and fill out a form, with entries twice before.For the next few years, this cycle is to me and my students to keep a regime, learning valuable lessons of dedication, perseverance ... and time management!

Author's Note, February 2006: This year I have registered twice as many voices. Glutton for punishment ...

No comments:

Post a Comment